Key Stage 3: A Vital Piece in the Curriculum Jigsaw - seamless learning as a springboard to Key Stage 4 and beyond An online webinar
Key Stage 3: A Vital Piece in the Curriculum Jigsaw - seamless learning as a springboard to Key Stage 4 and beyond
This event will run:-
as morning sessions from 10.00 until 12.30 over two weeks
or as twilight sessions from 16.00 to 18.30 over two weeks
The intervening week can be used for reflection, collaboration and an opportunity to review current strategies for ensuring the curriculum builds on prior learning, weaves skills and knowledge and creates evidence that there is seamless progress.
The importance on how to ensure that key stage 3 is purposeful and leads to a readiness for key stage 4 study has never been more pronounced than it is now. This highly regarded training courses provides delegates with an opportunity to reflect on how to plan a pedagogical journey that builds on the learning in the primary phase and develops the knowledge and skills learners need to achieve at Key Stage 4 and beyond. It also focuses on how to ensure that teachers capture the learning from the last six months as well as how to ensure pupils who have not taken part in formal learning over that time will catch up now that they are back in school.
Key Stage 3 was and continues to be firmly in the spotlight as secondary schools review curriculum intent and rationale, implementation and impact in response to new OFSTED's handbook for schools which remains current and will create the benchmarks for observation from January 2021. This event examines the messages from OFSTED which are particularly relevant for those involved in the planning and delivery of a curriculum for Key Stage 3.
The day will include:-
- OFSTED, policy and research. What is in the new OFSTED handbook for schools now being used in schools and the implications for planning a Key Stage 3 curriculum
- Time to reflect on how pupils have been taught over the spring and summer of 2020 and how they can build on prior learning.
- We will look at the content of the curriculum that has been taught in years 5 and 6 and what pupils should know and be able to do in year 7 and beyond
- A review of the substance of knowledge and skills that pupils should acquire as part of a key stage 3 sequenced curriculum that ensures pupils are well prepared for study in key stage 4 and beyond
- A focus on how to ensure that literacy and numeracy are an integral part of all learning in all subjects and how to help learners to make connections and adeptly put concept into context as part of creating a deep and rich curriculum offer
- A focus on assessment and how the curriculum and assessment should be inseparable, build on prior achievement and inform future learning
- Sharing ideas and best practice examples of the pedagogical approaches that will support higher level thinking, independent learning, enquiry and creativity across all learning in years 7,8 and 9
- We use a range of materials and resources on the day that are available electronically so that they can be used again as part of ongoing CPD back in school. We can also offer this event as an in-house event for groups of staff, as an INSET for the whole school or as twilight sessions as part of planned CPD in school.
Who should attend?
Senior leaders and policy makers who want to review the strategy for curriculum content and teaching and learning in this crucial stage of education. Key Stage 3 leaders and managers who will be responsible for implementing any planned changes to the curriculum, models of assessment and teaching and learning strategies. Year 7,8 and 9 leaders who need to have a good understanding of the content and value of the curriculum at key stage 3. Heads of curriculum planning and heads of subject or faculty who will benefit from an opportunity to share ideas and have time to review and plan how to build a robust key stage 3 offer for their subject that dovetails into all learning and that ensures learners make significant progress and exceed expectations by the time they leave year 11.
Second or Subsequent Delegate Price:
Select & Book
- autumn Term Dates
Online trainingTwo twilight sessions
Thursday 16th September 2021
Thursday 23rd September 2021
Online trainingTwo morning sessions
Monday 1st November 2021
Monday 8th November 2021