Re-thinking Appraisal - Influencing learning, empowering people and creating a culture of positive change
Performance management is the key to a successful school. This event provides leaders and managers with an opportunity to review the effectiveness of their procedures for monitoring the quality of teaching and learning and how well they create a culture of self improvement, reflection and the sharing and cascading of good practice. We also look closely at the kind of strategies that are successful in tackling under performance and building confidence of those who are not performing well. This event will build in a review of the whole process of performance management from the statutory requirements, an in-depth review of the appraisal process and what constitutes good practice.
Appraisal is at the heart of the process of performance management, getting it right is an essential part of delivering the school development plan. This event will provide an in-depth look at how to use coaching as part of the lead up to the appraisal interview, the use of deep and rich questioning during the interview and the kinds of skills that will support line managers as they mentor and coach their teams towards achieving their objectives and helping to deliver the school's quest for improvement.
The OFSTED Handbook for 2016 states that:-
"Incisive evaluation of the impact of staff’s practice leads to rigorous performance management and supervision. Highly focused professional development improves the quality of teaching"
"Leaders and governors use performance management effectively to improve teaching. They use accurate monitoring to identify and spread good practice across the school".
"Teachers value the continuing professional development provided by the school. It is having a positive impact on their teaching and pupils’ learning".
This one day course will provide:-
- An opportunity to reflect on the purpose of performance management. How does the process enhance motivation, contribute to staff well-being and create opportunities for positive continuing professional development linked to the school vision
- A focus on best practice from outstanding school settings with examples of highly effective performance management strategies linked to current legislation, pay, performance, professional development and what OFSTED want to see
- Time to reflect on how performance management is used positively to focus on the strengths of individual staff and how line managers can develop the coaching skills that will support positive change, build self-esteem and ensure a culture of on-going excellence and improvement
- Identify what excellence in teaching looks like and how best to create the right culture where outstanding teachers identify their learning agenda, good teachers know what they need to do to continue to grow in their role and those who need help are expertly supported, mentored and coached to grow in confidence and begin to understand themselves what they need to do to improve
- An opportunity to look closely at the appraisal process from pre-interview to follow up meetings and how a coaching model supports staff well-being, resilience and a continuous process of learning and improvement
- Work with delegates to develop a range of coaching techniques including questioning, listening and influencing to create the right skills to conduct an appraisal interview and follow up feedback sessions that will support reflection, self - evaluation and a deeper understanding for both the appraiser and the appraisee of how they can work together to support staff well-being, individual, team and school improvement and the management of change
Who is it for?
Leaders and managers with responsibility for performance management and appraisal. Also for CPD managers who would like to use the content to take back to school to develop an in-house strategy for developing others. Middle leaders who are increasingly taking on line management responsibility and who are accountable for the performance of their teams. Subject and faculty leaders who have lead responsibility for the performance management of members of their department.
All our events are centrally located. Registration and refreshments are available from 9.30am for a 10.00am start, and we will finish around 3.30-4.00pm. We always provide lunch.
Second or Subsequent Delegate Price:
Select & Book
- summer Term Dates
ExeterWednesday 2nd May 2018
LondonFriday 4th May 2018
YorkFriday 11th May 2018
CardiffTuesday 15th May 2018
BristolFriday 25th May 2018
ManchesterMonday 4th June 2018
BirminghamFriday 8th June 2018
CambridgeWednesday 13th June 2018
LeedsMonday 18th June 2018
The Coaching School - Bridgnorth, ShropshireWednesday 27th June 2018
LondonFriday 6th July 2018
PlymouthMonday 9th July 2018
- autumn Term Dates
BirminghamFriday 21st September 2018
LondonMonday 24th September 2018
BristolFriday 28th September 2018
ManchesterMonday 1st October 2018
YorkTuesday 9th October 2018
CardiffThursday 18th October 2018
LondonFriday 2nd November 2018
BirminghamTuesday 13th November 2018
The Coaching School - Bridgnorth, ShropshireTuesday 20th November 2018
ExeterThursday 29th November 2018
ManchesterMonday 3rd December 2018
LeedsTuesday 4th December 2018