In December I wrote five news items linked to policy, the latest research and what is in the spotlight for OFSTED and a sixth that focuses on coaching and what we know helps to create and sustain outstanding learning and teaching.
Curriculum is in the spotlight and the focus on mastery or deep and rich learning continues to occupy the minds of policy makers and OFSTED. Closing the achievement gap especially for ‘disadvantaged’ learners is the subject of a new Government paper. Formative assessment is fundamental to positive outcomes for pupils across all sectors and creating a consistent whole school strategy that delivers positive learning is paramount. Transition is a key issue and remains a concern for many as pupils continue to dip in performance especially as they move from primary to secondary school. Key Stage 3 is still seen by OFSTED as ‘wasted’ and needs to be a focus for review.
Make your New Year’s resolution to use coaching to create a culture that celebrates, shares and cascades good and outstanding practice and where learning is at the heart of everything. The philosophy and practices involved in the development of coaching skills for all staff is proven to be the best way to manage change successfully. Read the blog posts that are linked directly to the issues that have been aired over December and then focus on how creating a coaching culture in your school or group of schools will be a positive catalyst for continuous excellence and improvement.
Read the news posts on our website or dip into them altogether here,
- Closing the Gap – Social mobility at the heart of education policy
- Formative Assessment – Teacher autonomy, pupil involvement, positive collaboration
- Primary to Secondary Transition – Create a seamless curriculum, positive partnerships and powerful progression
- Weaving literacy and numeracy through a ‘Mastery’ curriculum
- The Spotlight continues to fall on Key Stage 3
- Lead Your School Towards an Outstanding Coaching Culture
Wishing you a very happy New Year from all of us at Learning Cultures.