Normality isn’t happening any time soon in the world of education. Change is a constant for all of us who are part of this great profession but I don’t think any of us could have predicted the kinds of changes we have all had to make.
CPD and in particular INSET does not have to be one of the casualties of this unfolding drama. In fact, our experience over the past few months gives us hope that there is a new dawn of powerful opportunities for professional development that will be just as rewarding and certainly as interactive as before.
Coaching is at the heart of the Learning Cultures philosophy and this has given us the resilience to focus on positive solutions to making sure that schools and colleges can still access our fantastic repertoire of courses and programmes. We have developed three solutions focused approaches.
Firstly, we have developed a Moodle platform and we now have six courses available for schools to buy to use as part of an INSET day or to deliver over a series of sessions or twilights. Excellently orchestrated videos created by an ex Channel 4 producer and hosted by one of our expert trainers provide the presentations and there is a wealth of materials, resources and research to tap into for all those involved in the training. We will be developing more of these over the summer.
- Re-thinking Appraisal and Performance Management- Creating a coaching culture that leads to influential change through positive learning conversations
- The Art of Positive Lesson Observation – creating a culture where lesson observation is a collaborative part of continual professional learning
- Formative Assessment – Creating the pedagogy of challenge, progression and deeper learning in the primary school
- Formative Assessment – Creating the pedagogy of challenge, progression and deeper learning in the secondary school
- Defining and Enhancing the Role of the Subject Leader – a ‘deep dive’ into subject specific implementation
- The Learning Room – a series of strategies linked to metacognition and thinking skills
Secondly, we are also hosting Zoom training sessions for individuals who have specific CPD objectives or needs and these are delivered through face to face interaction with groups of delegates over two sessions of two hours with a week in between for reflection and shared learning.
- Leading a Coaching School – A coaching programme for senior leaders
- Leading from the Middle – How to influence change and aspire to leadership
- Crossing the Transition Bridge from Primary to Secondary School
- Coaching for Pastoral Leaders
- Coaching Towards Outstanding Teaching and Learning
- Coaching the NQT – Going beyond mentoring
- Promoting a Culture of Positive Mental Health
- Literacy is the Language of Learning – focusing on the role of the Literacy Coordinator
- Enhancing the Role of the Numeracy Coordinator – where is Maths integral to learning across the curriculum
- Vocational Learning Pathways – looking in depth at delivering high quality vocational learning
- Managing the Pupil Premium – Creating successful outcomes and having the evidence of impact for stakeholders
Thirdly, we have now worked with several organisations to develop virtual INSET days where our input provides the impetus for interaction, team working and opportunities to share and cascade good practice. Astounding results are emerging. This approach is flexible, personal and cost effective for schools to manage.
There has never been a greater need for CPD for all staff in a school or college. What we can offer is a way forward to ensure a seamless learning platform delivers outstanding professional development.