My overarching message is for all schools to realise the value of strategic thinking that ensures that it is the curriculum and how it is delivered that creates outstanding teaching and learning. There is an imperative for all schools to pull together the strands that weave a seamless and sequenced curriculum. The principles are the same for every phase of education, once those principles are defined the content can be woven to ensure progression and deep learning lead to successful outcomes for all learners.
The phrase ‘deep dive’ is well used by advisors, OFSTED inspectors and inevitably by trainers like ourselves. What do they actually mean and what do they actually achieve? Read my news-post Preparing for Subject Specific Deep Dive Conversations and Observations and our latest newsletter, where we have looked in some detail at the implications of these activities. We have taken the research and developed a suite of highly successful and practical courses and opportunities for INSET. They have been extremely well-received.
We want to stress in our capacity as advisors and coaches to the education profession that this isn’t about OFSTED or any other inspectorate. It is an opportunity to review your curriculum, focus on the rationale for what is to be included and have a clear perspective on what pupils already know and will learn in order that they thrive in the future. It is essential that we see change as a powerful opportunity to empower all staff to focus on how they influence learning. The key focus has to be on highly- effective and well-structured CPD for everyone who has a part to play in planning and delivering the curriculum.
There are three parts to ensuring that leaders, managers, teachers and support staff all have the training to ensure they can create depth, breadth and a continuum of learning linked to their own detailed and profoundly well thought through curriculum vision and rationale and these are,
- Planning and facilitating subject or thematic knowledge and rich and skills focused content that leads to a deep understanding through the use of highly interactive pedagogy
- Defining pupil outcomes and assessing how well pupils are learning and are able to demonstrate higher level thinking skills as part of their deeper understanding of subject and conceptual knowledge
- Creating opportunities to use the content of highly structured CPD as part of the fostering of a coaching culture that encourages professional learning conversations so that all staff can articulate and share good practice, reflect on their own learning and plan how to deepen their pupils’ understanding.
We have training for senior leaders that sets out the strategy for change and provides a wealth of practical tools to use with senior teams.
- Realising the Primary Curriculum Vision – A triad of evidence-based solutions
- Realising the Secondary Curriculum Vision – A triad of evidence-based solutions
We have an outstanding course for subject leaders, Heads of Department or curriculum managers that will prepare all those who attend with the tools and knowledge to ensure any spotlight will reveal the implementation of high quality curriculum outputs.
- Defining and Enhancing the Role of the Subject Leader – managing curriculum change that delivers sequential and seamless learning and deep knowledge and skills
- Literacy is the Language of Learning – Ensuring that reading, writing, speaking and listening are integral to all learning across the secondary curriculum
- Maths Concepts in the Wider Curriculum Context – Figuring out where numeracy equals learning
We have courses that focus on primary and secondary assessment and that look closely at how to develop a culture where quality assurance is every member of staff’s responsibility.
- Assessing Learning Outcomes Over Time in the Primary School -A focus on how to assess the learning and the acquisition of skills and knowledge for deeper and sequential learning across the curriculum
- Assessing Learning Outcomes Over Time in the Secondary School – A focus on how to assess the learning and the acquisition of skills and knowledge for deeper and sequential learning across the curriculum
Reviews following on from our training rate the quality of the materials and the resources we provide as outstanding. We publish reviews alongside the relevant courses on our website. Work with us, we are the experts and we can help you to create a culture of positive change.